On July 18, 2017, the Canadian government released detailed proposals that will affect the taxation of virtually every private corporation in Canada. These proposals reflect a monumental tax policy change. Good tax planning that has been legal and acceptable for years will soon be unacceptable, leaving many Canadian entrepreneurs affected. The breadth and complexity of the proposals is astounding.
Given the above, Moodys Gartner Tax Law LLP will be hosting a live webinar to discuss the following:
- A basic comparison of an entrepreneur vs. an employee, in light of the numerous references in the government materials to “fairness” and “neutrality” as a tax policy objective underlying these proposals;
- A quick review of the recent taxation changes that negatively affect entrepreneurs in Canada;
- The July 18, 2017 Private Corporation proposals – a detailed technical review and explanation of:
- New rules to prevent dividend and capital gain sprinkling;
- A new taxation regime to penalize the accumulation of passive assets in a private corporation; and
- Elimination of planning that converts dividends into capital gains (including “pipeline” planning);
- What Canadian entrepreneurs and their advisors can do to deal with these transformative, invasive and complex changes.
Date: Friday, July 28, 2017
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. MDT
Investment: $215 (GST included; non-refundable)
Who should attend: While all entrepreneurs are invited, the session will be geared towards people who advise private corporations from an accounting, legal, wealth management and insurance capacity.
Please register by 9:45 a.m. Friday, July 28, 2017.